- While the sector continues to rely on foreign investment, investors must think and act beyond just the agricultural business – the community, local spending, employment opportunities and ongoing income for local supply businesses are also important. Read QFF’s QCL column HERE.
- QFF is in the spirit to celebrate the Queensland farmers who produce our food fibre and foliage at the Ekka, with gates open now! So meet Rob, a veggie farmer from Kalfresh Vegetables, a member of Growcom and part of the QFF family HERE.
- Bringing the country to the city for a celebration of Queensland’s agricultural sector, QFF industry members nursery and garden, flowers, horticulture, cane, poultry, dairy and cotton are on show at the Ekka this year. Check out some of our snaps HERE.
- A new project managed by QFF industry member Nursery & Garden Industry Queensland and funded by Hort Innovation will assess the potential for natural disasters to impact upon Australia’s nursery industry. Find out more HERE.
- 18 to 35 year old Australian agricultural innovators, scientists and researchers wanting to make a difference in agriculture are invited to submit their innovative agricultural research project ideas for a chance to receive one of 11 Science and Innovation Awards and a grant of up to $22,000. Apply now HERE.
- With Queensland’s bushfire season officially underway, are you in the line of fire? Check your postcode HERE. Everyone who lives near the bush should prepare themselves, their families and their properties. Stay aware of Bushfire Warnings, and stay tuned to local media.
- The Federal Court has declared that certain terms of contracts between potato wholesaler, Mitolo Group Pty Ltd, and potato growers entered into between 2016 and 2018 were unfair contract terms and therefore void. It’s the first Court imposed penalty for a contravention of the ACCC‘s Horticulture Code. More HERE.
- If you’re coming from overseas, wanting to extend your working holiday visa or an Australian wanting to experience life on the land, these top tips from the National Farmers’ Federation will get you closer to the farm work you’re after.
- Unpredictable and intense weather conditions are impacting farming communities across Australia. AGL’s Farmers Assist program looks to give farmers greater control and certainty during these challenging times with two new assistance packages available. Details HERE.
- Soil constraints are a major limiting factor for agricultural production in Australia. Producers in Queensland want to know if subsoil manuring works for them, in what conditions (soil, crop, climate) and at what costs. Attend the free Subsoil Manuring Seminar in Toowoomba on 12 August to learn more. Register HERE.
10 Things to know
Subscribe to QFF’s weekly ’10 things to know’ e-bulletin stay up to date with the latest news affecting Queensland agriculture.
Get ’10 things to know’ weekly direct to your inbox.