- Queensland farmers looking to capitalise on the opportunities that agritourism could provide are encouraged to attend the Farm2Plate Exchange run by agritourism experts Regionality from 18-19 May 2021 in the Scenic Rim. Read QFF’s media statement and register to attend HERE.
- The Queensland Government had an opportunity to chart a course forward with last week’s 2020-21 State Budget. While it delivered on its election commitments, this year’s Budget was again a missed opportunity to address some critical competitiveness and productivity issues. QFF’s Queensland Country Life column HERE.
- “What we recommend is that there’s a business continuity plan at each farm so that you can prepare for interruptions.” QFF Risk Management Project Officer Kerry Battersby spoke to Bundaberg Today about preparing your farm for storm season. Read more HERE.
- Are you passionate about agriculture and the Great Barrier Reef? Eight paid positions are available in host organisations across the GBR catchments through the Agriculture Extension Work Placement Program. Read the position descriptions and find out more at webinars on 14 Dec 2020 and 12 Jan 2021 at 10.30am HERE.
- Remember the damage on sugarcane farms from a tropical low in 2019? The CANEGROWERS Virtual Bus Tour has visited growers who were flooded to see how they’ve made their farms more resilient for the future with help from a CANEGROWERS Industry Recovery Officer. Watch the video HERE to learn more.
- Are you a farmer growing or producing food, fibre or foliage in Queensland? The new Grown in Queensland initiative has been launched to assist consumers to identify and purchase your produce. For more information and to get involved, click HERE.
- The ACCC has released its Perishable Agricultural Goods Inquiry Report recommending the introduction of an unfair trading practices prohibition, strengthening the small business unfair contract term protections and the Food and Grocery Code of Conduct. More information HERE.
- The Queensland Government is offering up to $1,500 to eligible Queensland workers to assist with costs associated with travelling to a Queensland region to take up an agricultural job. For more information about the scheme, click HERE.
- Become a biosecurity warrior and help protect Australia from plant and animal pests and diseases. Mission Biosecurity features Costa Georgiadis of Gardening Australia, and provides a suite of interactive and digital resources for you to test your biosecurity knowledge and skills as a biosecurity champion. Details HERE.
- Australian farmgate production is expected to be $65 billion in 2020-21 on the back of the nation’s second largest winter crop and promising rainfall outlook. Read ABARES‘ December quarter 2020 Agriculture Commodities report HERE.
10 Things to know
Subscribe to QFF’s weekly ’10 things to know’ e-bulletin stay up to date with the latest news affecting Queensland agriculture.
Get ’10 things to know’ weekly direct to your inbox.