- Nominations are now open for the 2019 Reef Champion Awards celebrating the outstanding achievements of individuals and organisations working to improve the quality of water entering the iconic Great Barrier Reef. Details HERE.
- QFF has expressed concern that two Reef reports released last Friday misrepresent the agriculture sector’s commitment to the Great Barrier Reef effort and would be used to justify the state government’s proposed Reef regulations. Read the media release HERE.
- The Reef Alliance E-Newsletter Winter Edition is now available. Stay up-to-date with the latest news from our Reef Alliance partners including the installation of six new denitrification bioreactors on Wet Tropics farms and a peer-to-peer network to implement regenerative agriculture principles HERE
- QFF industry member CANEGROWERS says impacts of the Indian Government’s approval of new export subsidies to send six million tonnes more sugar onto the world market will be felt across the Australian industry with prices already below the cost of production. Details HERE.
- Australia will no longer accept shipments of fresh cut flowers and foliage from Kenya, Colombia and Ecuador produced using a systems approach without a valid import permit to prevent biosecurity incursions and protect our flower and nursery and garden industries. More HERE.
- Last chance for expressions of interest in Round 2 of the Rural Economic Development Grants! These grants fund projects that generate economic and employment opportunities related to primary production across rural and remote Queensland. Submit yours before 6 September, details HERE.
- What’s the bushfire outlook across Australia to the end of the year? The Bushfire and Natural Hazard Cooperative Research Centre‘s Seasonal Bushfire Outlook has been released and shows there is a potential for a highly active season in Queensland. More information HERE.
- Spring is here, so what’s the outlook for the next three months? Drier and warmer than average conditions are likely to continue with higher than normal fire potential for parts of Queensland. For more information, check the Bureau of Meteorology’s seasonal outlook HERE.
- Join Primezone and the Rural Jobs and Skills Alliance for the Food, Fibre and Foliage Education Roadshow in Brisbane on 7 November. It’s designed for teachers wanting to bring their curriculum to life! To register as a presenter or participant, click HERE.
- Last chance to join Nuffield Australia for their National Conference in Brisbane from 17-21 September. The event will showcase the 2018 Scholars’ ability to learn from farmers around the globe and sow the seeds of change that see individuals, businesses and wider industry flourish. Details HERE.
10 Things to know
Subscribe to QFF’s weekly ’10 things to know’ e-bulletin stay up to date with the latest news affecting Queensland agriculture.
Get ’10 things to know’ weekly direct to your inbox.