- While PNG’s pig industry is structured differently to Australia’s and our pork producers are among the most biosecure in the world, African Swine Fever could cause devastating economic losses for Australia’s pork industry if it got through our borders. Read QFF’s Queensland Country Life column HERE.
- The evolving COVID-19 pandemic continues to present new and significant challenges to all facets of society. QFF corporate partner Holding Redlich have put together a Resource Centre to assist in navigating any legal issues during this uncertainty. Details HERE.
- Free cotton educational resources are now available for primary school students via QFF industry member, Cotton Australia’s website. Click HERE to learn about the industry and download lesson plans and resources for both primary and secondary classrooms.
- The impact of the COVID-19 virus is being felt across the sugar industry as it is in our communities and around the world. QFF industry member CANEGROWERS has put together a dedicated webpage to update growers as the situation unfolds. Check it out HERE.
- There are several good reasons why dairy and all agricultural industries are considered essential to the wellbeing and future of Australia. State and federal government need to be considerate of the long-term impacts on the economy and industries such as dairy beyond the next 6-12 months. More from the Queensland Dairyfarmers’ Organisation HERE.
- Queenslanders whose employment has been impacted by COVID-19 and are now looking for work, can register their details, location and skills to be matched with suitable job opportunities in priority sectors and locations most in need by professional recruitment agencies. Register for Jobs Finder Queensland HERE.
- The new JobKeeper payment is now available for eligible employers to help them pay their employees during the COVID-19 health emergency. If you’re an employer looking to apply, there’s no need to call the Australian Taxation Office, find out how to receive the payment for your employees HERE.
- The Australian Government needs your help to guide the International Freight Assistance Mechanism which will help agriculture and seafood export sectors get their high-quality produce into key overseas markets. Have your say HERE.
- The Queensland Government is monitoring the impact of COVID-19 in relation to the Land Restoration Fund 2020 Investment Round. In response, the deadline for submitting applications has been extended to 29 April 2020. Apply now HERE.
- The COVID-19 pandemic has taken Australia and the world by surprise. Despite temporary shortages of some food items in supermarkets caused by an unexpected surge in demand, Australia does not have a food security problem. Read ABARES’ Analysis of Australia’s food security and the COVID-19 pandemic report HERE.
10 Things to know
Subscribe to QFF’s weekly ’10 things to know’ e-bulletin stay up to date with the latest news affecting Queensland agriculture.
Get ’10 things to know’ weekly direct to your inbox.