- QFF has reiterated Queensland agriculture’s commitment to securing the future of the Great Barrier Reef following the release of the 2019 Reef Water Quality Report Card last week. Read QFF’s media statement HERE.
- COVID-19 has led to unprecedented labour market disruption with farmers struggling to retain and recruit critical workers during harvest, with national demand for casual labour expected to peak next month with up to 26,000 jobs likely to go unfilled. Read QFF’s Queensland Country Life column HERE.
- QFF CEO Dr Georgina Davis spoke about the need for investment in agricultural infrastructure and strategic planning at the Queensland Futures Institute’s 2021 Policy Leaders Breakfast recently. Watch a video of the breakfast HERE.
- Why have we followed science in every single way while managing COVID-19 but not where we locate quarantine? QFF industry member Growcom has called on the Federal Government and National Cabinet to follow the science, to invest in regional quarantine, and in doing so, help solve the growing seasonal labour shortage. More HERE.
- New tools for better pest control decision-making are part of the cotton industry’s sustainability pathway to reducing environmental impact. Read about the new smartphone and Excel decision support tools researchers have released to help growers manage a common cotton pest HERE.
- Selective breeding – why is it important and what does it mean? Get the facts about how traditional selective breeding works in the chicken meat industry from the Australian Chicken Meat Federation HERE.
- The CSIRO is conducting a survey to better understand how Australians consume fruits and vegetables in order to identify ways to help promote healthy eating. It only takes five minutes! Have your say HERE.
- The National Drought and North Queensland Flood Response and Recovery Agency needs your help! They are looking for feedback on their National Drought Map to ensure its usefulness for farmers and land or natural resource managers. Have your say by the end of February 2021 HERE.
- The GasFields Commission Queensland has commenced a targeted consultation process as part of their review of the Regional Planning Interests Act 2014 assessment processes. The review will focus on the effectiveness of the Act to manage coexistence between CSG activities on areas of high value agricultural land. More information HERE.
- From a seed sown at university, the next generation of agricultural workers are growing their careers and are poised to take advantage of the endless opportunities and diverse pathways the sector provides. Read more from ABC Rural HERE.
10 Things to know
Subscribe to QFF’s weekly ’10 things to know’ e-bulletin stay up to date with the latest news affecting Queensland agriculture.
Get ’10 things to know’ weekly direct to your inbox.