- Rates, fees and services now account for about three quarters of total local government revenue, with farm businesses facing significant rates increases to make up the shortfall in rural and regional areas. Read QFF’s QCL column HERE.
- Primary producers impacted by the North and Far North Queensland Monsoon Trough earlier this year now have until Friday 29 November 2019 to apply for recovery grants of up to $75,000 to assist with clean-up and recovery. Visit the Farmer Disaster Support website HERE for details.
- The excellence and achievements of the Australian cotton industry over the past year were recognised at the 2019 Australian Cotton Industry Awards recently. QFF industry member Cotton Australia congratulated the winners, read more HERE.
- Woolworths, Aldi and Coles have increased the price of their homebrand milk on supermarket shelves with 1 litre bottles now selling for $1.29, 2L at $2.39 and 3L at $3.59. Get the story HERE.
- Consumer research shows myths persist about how meat chickens are housed and looked after in Australia. If you were asked about the myths around meat chickens would you know the facts? Find out more from peak body Australian Chicken Meat Federation‘s Chook Chat article HERE.
- Expressions of Interest for Round 2 of the Rural Economic Development Grants are now open! These grants fund projects that generate economic and employment opportunities related to primary production across rural and remote Queensland. For more information, click HERE.
- The agriculture sector is on the cusp of a wave of innovation driven by the growing demand for food and fibre, digital revolution, and addressing climate change. The Queensland Government’s Growing for Queensland discussion paper aims to turn these challenges into opportunities. Join the conversation HERE.
- Women & Leadership Australia have released another round of scholarship funding for farming women.The initiative is providing women with grants of between $3,000 and $7,000 to enable participation in one of three leadership programs. Expressions of Interest are being sought until 13 September HERE.
- Join Nuffield Australia for their National Conference in Brisbane from 17-21 September. The event will showcase the 2018 Scholars’ ability to learn from farmers around the globe and sow the seeds of change that see individuals, businesses and wider industry flourish. Details HERE.
- Drier and warmer than average conditions are likely to continue for the next three months, with higher than normal fire potential for parts of southern Queensland. For more information, check the Bureau of Meteorology’s seasonal outlook HERE.
10 Things to know
Subscribe to QFF’s weekly ’10 things to know’ e-bulletin stay up to date with the latest news affecting Queensland agriculture.
Get ’10 things to know’ weekly direct to your inbox.