- Another eight extension trainees are assisting farmers throughout the Great Barrier Reef Catchments after recently beginning work with various NRM and agricultural advisory groups through the Agriculture Extension Work Placement Program. Read the media statement HERE.
- QFF has welcomed the transfer of the SunWater Emerald distribution scheme to Fairbairn Irrigation Network Limited after local management attracted overwhelming support amongst local irrigators. Read more HERE.
- The challenge for future drought support is to get the right settings, timing and funding levels for the new programs, and will require proactive rather than reactive investment. Read the QFF QCL column HERE.
- The latest Reef Alliance ‘Reliable 5’ is now available! Stay up-to-date with the latest reef news and events including farmers improving their water quality for wetlands and a project to report sea creatures out of their usual habitats. Read it now HERE.
- In response to drought, farmers can now claim accelerated depreciation on new fodder storages and those receiving Farm Household Allowance who are forced to sell livestock may continue to receive payments if the profits are deposited into an Farm Management Deposit Details HERE.
- More farmers will be able to access vital assistance when they are going through tough times after the Australian Government introduced legislation to maintain the net farm asset threshold for Farm Household Allowance at $5 million. Read more HERE.
- From 1 September 2019, import permits will be required for cut flowers and foliage sent to Australia produced using a systems approach from Kenya, Colombia and Ecuador. For more information, click HERE.
- Introducing Turf ‘n’ Surf, a podcast telling stories about Queensland’s farming, fishing, biosecurity and forestry featuring the people at the heart of the state’s primary industries. The first episode is about the battle to stop the deadly Red Imported Fire Ant, listen HERE.
- Will your family be using quad bikes over the school holidays? Experience and riding safely is one thing, but how prepared are you for the unexpected? Make sure you’re ride ready before heading out with the Workplace Health and Safety Queensland’s Ride ready challenge HERE.
- Are you a farmer wanting to understand what’s really happening on your farm? The Rural Jobs and Skills Alliance and TAFE Queensland are holding Embracing Digital Innovation in the Agricultural Sector workshops in Bundaberg and Dalby this month. Register now!
10 Things to know
Subscribe to QFF’s weekly ’10 things to know’ e-bulletin stay up to date with the latest news affecting Queensland agriculture.
Get ’10 things to know’ weekly direct to your inbox.