- How can skilled migrants assist to meet your agribusiness labour needs? QFF and the Rural Jobs and Skills Alliance (RSJA) invite employers, agribusiness owners and managers to explore this question at our upcoming workshop in Toowoomba on Thursday, 27 April, which will provide information on employment pathways, and identify strategies to help fill labour gaps.
- QFF member Growcom is inviting horticultural producers to attend a Master Class Series for Horticulture Irrigation in Bowen. Topics will include water and energy efficiency, and more. There is a limit of 20 attendees so be sure to book early here.
- This month’s QFF Farm Business Hour will discuss how Queensland agricultural businesses should respond during the first 36 hours after a natural disaster event to maximise their resilience and recovery. Tune in on Wednesday, 29 March to engage in topics including initial assessment and response, risk management and scenario planning. Reserve a ticket here.
- The guava root-knot nematode is considered a high priority pest across a range of industries including cotton, papaya, potato, sweet potato and more. With recent occurrences in Queensland, commercial growers are encouraged to capture photographs and report unusual or unfamiliar symptoms of plant root system damage to Biosecurity Queensland on 13 25 23.
- The first round of Telstra’s Connected Community Grant Program is now live. The program offers grants of up to $10,000 to not-for-profit community organisations that are supporting their communities to embrace new technologies and develop their digital capabilities. Applications close 30 March 2023.
- Nuffield Australia are now offering a $35,000 scholarship for Australian citizens and permanent residents to travel abroad to develop agribusiness skills and connections while studying a topic relevant to their business, region and industry. For additional information visit the website.
- The Department of Climate Change, Energy, the Environment and Water are holding information sessions on the Australian Government’s Strategic Water Purchasing Framework on 15 March in Toowoomba. Find more information and reserve a ticket here.
- Have your say: The Queensland Government has recently released an exposure draft of the Gas Supply and Other Legislation (Hydrogen Industry Development) Amendment Bill 2023 which aims to remove barriers to the development of Queensland’s renewable hydrogen industry. Stakeholders are invited to have their say up to 3 April 2023.
- The Office of Industrial Relations is hosting an information session for employers on 21 March about the Managing the risk of psychosocial hazards at work Code of Practice 2022. The session will discuss the code, how psychosocial hazards can be identified and controlled in the workplace and will also explore the harms such psychosocial hazards can create. Reserve a spot here.
- A quick reminder that the Great Aussie Composting Roadshow will reach Queensland this week 15 – 17 March visiting Pittsworth, Dalby and Beaudesert. The Roadshow will provide intensive animal industries such as egg and broiler farms, cattle feedlots, piggeries and dairy farms with tailored and in-depth information regarding solid manure management, focusing on composting as a management tool.
10 Things to know
Subscribe to QFF’s weekly ’10 things to know’ e-bulletin stay up to date with the latest news affecting Queensland agriculture.
Get ’10 things to know’ weekly direct to your inbox.