- Are you wanting to work in one of Queensland’s most exciting industries? If you are looking for part-time, casual, holiday or full-time work in the Queensland agricultural sector or wanting to secure your next career move, register on the Ag Jobs Queensland platform now. Upload your CV HERE to be connected with your next opportunity in Queensland Agriculture.
- The Australian Competition Authority has commenced their review to set regulated retail electricity prices (notified prices) to apply in regional Queensland in 2023-24. An interim consultation paper has been published which provides information on key issues relevant to setting notified prices. Stakeholders are invited to provide comment with submission due by 18th January 2023. Further information HERE.
- The Annual State-wide Landcover and Trees Study (SLATS) report released last week shows overall land clearing in 2019-20 has fallen nearly 40% over the previous year. More information and the report HERE.
- The Senate Rural and Regional Affairs and Transport References Committee has given its report into the adequacy of Australia’s biosecurity measures. There were 23 recommendations with 8-9 on varroa mite. See full report HERE.
- Year-round, daily flight services to Cairns from Tokyo-Haneda onboard Virgin Australia are expected to take off from June 2023. Rebuilding flights connecting Cairns and Japan is not only good news for tourism, but also supports trade and export opportunities with passenger flights providing freight transportation options in the belly of the plane. See the announcement HERE.
- A report commissioned by supermarket giant Coles has alarmed peak agricultural bodies with its inaccuracies and lack of research depth. Growcom CEO raised concerns in the “Accommodation for horticulture workers: A Project for Coles and Ethical Retail Supply Chain Alliance” in a detailed article last week. Read the article in full HERE.
- The National Association of Agricultural Educators (NAAE) and Queensland Agricultural Teachers Association (QATA) are excited to present the 2023 National Conference in Toowoomba 8-12 January. The theme for the 2023 conference is Creators & Innovators and attendees will participate in workshops and industry tours that showcase the creative and innovative approach of agricultural education. Find out more HERE.
- New Dairy Australia data shows consumers are reacting to higher costs of living, particularly for food, by changing where and how they spend their money. Australian households are paying more for dairy but they are buying less milk, butter, yoghurt and cheese. East Aus Milk has the full story HERE.
- The TAFE QLD course gateway provides an overview of TAFE ‘s current micro-credential offerings including Rural Electrical Safety Awareness, Cyber Security Essentials and Recruitment for Small Business. To view the catalogue click HERE.
- The QFF team wish you all an enjoyable holiday season and happy new Year. Our office will be closed from 22 December 2022 and reopen on Monday 9th January 2023. During that time QFF’s 10 Things will also take a break but will be back in your email and online Monday 9th January.
10 Things to know
Subscribe to QFF’s weekly ’10 things to know’ e-bulletin stay up to date with the latest news affecting Queensland agriculture.
Get ’10 things to know’ weekly direct to your inbox.