- Nominations are now open for the 2019 Reef Champion Awards celebrating the outstanding achievements of individuals and organisations working to improve the quality of water entering the iconic Great Barrier Reef. For more information and to apply, click HERE.
- The Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority has published the 2019 Reef Outlook Report, examining the Reef’s health, pressures, and likely future. The Great Barrier Reef Region still faces significant pressures ranging in scale from local to global, read the Report HERE.
- The Reef Water Quality Report Card 2017 and 2018 was recently released and assesses the results of Reef 2050 Water Quality Improvement Plan actions to improve the quality of water flowing to the Great Barrier Reef. Read the Report Card HERE.
- The Great Barrier Reef Foundation is hosting a series of local project information nights in Cairns, Townsville, Mackay, HarveyBay/Maryborough, Bundaberg and Rockhampton to provide an update on the recently released Reef Trust Partnership Annual Work Plan, and hear more from potential organisations who are keen to be involved.
- Researchers from the Australian Institute of Marine Science, are trialing next-generation genetic sequencing to detect a whale shark’s DNA in the water column, a technique that promises to be a vital tool for monitoring and conservation. More information HERE.
The Reef Alliance project is funded by the Australian Government and delivered through the Reef Trust.