An energy audit recommended the irrigation pump could be reduced in size from 75kW to 45kW with a variable speed drive, allowing the new system to pump at the right pressure into different sized blocks.
The auditor recommended realigning the 4kW pump on its slab so that two right angled bends could be removed, which would allow the pump to deliver an extra 1,000 litres per hour using the same energy.
The audit recommended several other opportunities, including:
- 10kW of Solar PV with an annual saving of over 15,500kWh and a payback period of 4.3 years.
- Retrofit of lights in the sheds and houses with a saving of 1,100 kWh and a payback period of 5 years.
- An upgrade to a solar hot water system saving over 1,500kWh with a payback period of nearly 13 years.
The auditor made a number of other recommendations to help reduce energy consumption on the farm including:
- Air conditioning set point temperatures of 20°C in winter and 25°C in summer to maintain comfort levels acceptable to most occupants
- Replace air filters as necessary in the split system
- Consider adding external window coverings to block sun where needed
- Keep exterior doors and windows closed when the air conditioning system is turned on
- Effective weather stripping on exterior doors to prevent drafts
- Implement insulation in the ceiling of the house
The total cost of all the projects is estimated at $40,500 with an annual saving of $7,000 and average payback of 5.8 years, reducing energy consumption and costs by 44 per cent.
Added benefits include greenhouse gas emission reductions of 24.2tco2-e and demand savings of up to 14.2kW.
As a participant in the Energy Savers Plus Program Extension (ESPPE) the farm is eligible for a grant of up to $20,000 to help fund the improvements. These estimated costs and savings will be updated to actual savings once the farmer has implemented the projects.
||45kW Pump and Variable Speed Drive
||10kW Solar PV System
||Solar Hot Water System
||Replace all lights with LEDs
|Energy Savings kWh
An energy audit is a great way for a business to cut costs and boost productivity. Find out about what’s involved in an energy audit HERE and subscribe to our bi-monthly energy e-news HERE.
If you have any energy efficiency related questions for the team get in touch at email@example.com.