Accessing a secure supply of local workers has long been an issue for farmers. Now, a new network of agriculture workforce officers across Queensland is working with farmers in all sectors to find labour solutions to help them grow their businesses.
A positive example of QAWN’s work in the regions is “The Sweetest Job” campaign for strawberry growers in the Sunshine Coast and Moreton Bay regions in Queensland (see www.thesweetestjob.com.au), which has seen more than 1400 local jobseekers register for harvest work in the strawberry industry since it began at the end of May.
The Sweetest Job campaign is a fantastic example of what can be done to support farmers to find the workers they need. QAWN is one of The Sweetest Job campaign’s collaborating partners, together with Sunshine Coast Council, Moreton Bay Regional Council, Regional Development Australia – Moreton Bay, Food and Agribusiness Network and the Queensland Strawberries Association.
The initiative is all about improving the image of farm employment and getting the message out that there are a wide variety of great employment options on farms and across the agribusiness supply chain. QAWN can assist industry attract suitable workers by raising jobseekers’ awareness about what qualifications and skill sets would help make them more job ready and employable.
If farmers are looking to upskill their existing workers, QAWN officers can assist with information about available funding and training courses.
QAWN can assist any agriculture sector and we are happy to help, whether it is by providing information on available employment options and wage subsidies, or connecting employers with local training providers and providing an update on what funding opportunities are available to upskill their workers.
Agribusiness employers are encouraged to explore what labour options are available and QAWN Officers can assist in connecting you to funded training in your region.
Contact your local QAWN officers:
- South East Qld: Craig Dillon, firstname.lastname@example.org, telephone: 0499 833 868
- Southern Qld: Karen George, email@example.com, telephone: 0408 135 003
- South Burnett: Stephanie Denman, firstname.lastname@example.org, telephone 0431 862 372
- Wide Bay Burnett: Kylie Jackson, email@example.com, telephone: 0488 533 801
- Central Qld: Lorelle Stables, firstname.lastname@example.org, telephone 0423 370 368
- North Qld: Julia Wheway, email@example.com telephone 0427 009 929
- Far North Qld: Leanne Kruss, firstname.lastname@example.org, telephone: 0431 743 633.